(617) 499-4000

Boston Child Support Lawyers Assisting Massachusetts Parents

child support judgeRaising children is one of life’s most difficult tasks. Our sons and daughters require large amounts of emotional support. Raising them also requires significant financial resources. In an ideal world, both parents would pay their fair share of what it costs to raise a child. Unfortunately, there are instances in which one parent will not pay their share for school clothes, medical expenses, food, shelter, and more. Massachusetts is like other states in that it requires parents to help support their children, whether they want to or not. Our Boston child support lawyers assist with making sure that parents are paying their fair share in regards to the cost of raising a young one. Our firm prides itself on providing a high level of service and we are ready to assist you. Contact us today to speak with an attorney. We also service Cambridge, Salem, Dedham, Worcester, and other areas.

Boston attorneys making sure that the Massachusetts child support guidelines are properly followed

Courts will typically order support payments at the same time that they issue a ruling in regards to child custody. The Massachusetts child support guidelines will be utilized to determine the amount which a parent is to pay. These guidelines typically apply to individuals earning up to $250,000 per year. While the application of the guidelines may seem straightforward at first, the fact of the matter is they can become complicated. There may be disputes over how much of a parent’s income should be counted when performing the support calculations. There may also be disputes over whether a parent is understating their income, whether they are “under employed,” or whether they should receive a reduction for reasons such as having to support other children. If the parents share joint custody of the children (meaning an equal time share) then the support calculations will be based off of the income of both the mother and the father. A parent who fails to make ordered support payments may find themselves held in contempt of court.

Our Boston attorneys work to make sure that parents pay their fair share when it comes to support. They will utilize discovery (the process by which information is gained from the other side) to gather evidence establishing the actual amount of a parent’s income. Evidence which our firm can acquire includes pay records, bank statements, credit card receipts, employment files, and proof of any efforts which a parent has made to find work. We will request that the Court issue a temporary support order, which must be followed, while your case is awaiting trial. We will ensure that all finance-related information is properly presented at a trial and we will argue for a proper application of the law. Few things cause as much tension between parents as the subject of money. We will work to resolve your case as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We also assist residents in the Middlesex County cities of Cambridge, Lowell, Somerville, and Newton, as well as those in the cities of Salem, Dedham, Worcester, Brockton, Quincy, and Lynn, as well as elsewhere in the state.

Boston lawyers assisting with child support modifications

Our Boston lawyers are also able to assist those who need to modify or change an existing child support order. There are many reasons why a parent may require a modification. One may need their payment lowered due to the fact that they have suffered a reduction in hours, lost their job, or due to the fact that they now have additional children from another relationship. Also, a parent who is receiving support may seek a modification due to the fact that the paying party is now making more money or because there are unique expenses now being incurred on behalf of the child. Regardless of the situation, it is important that you retain a qualified attorney as modifications can require a detailed legal analysis. Edward Swan and Sohail Nassiri have over twenty-five years of combined legal experience and they are ready to assist you. Contact us today.